Copies of my history stories are provided here in PDF format. Some of this material is found in Florence Chatten's book "Brighton Township". The versions here are more complete and up-to-date. I will be updating them in the future as new information comes to my attention.
Notice: These documents are covered by Copyright. They can be copied to your computer and printed as you wish. Any use of parts of this material should be accompanied by a reference to the source. Any commerical use of this material requires the permission of Dan Buchanan.
- Hilton Hall History Timeline Hilton Township Hall from construction in 1860 to Heritage Centre in 2014.
- The Latimer Photos - List of Names Do you know someone in The Latimer Photos? This is a list of the 456 names in the collection of photos of individuals in the Orland, Codrington, Hilton and Brighton area taken in the 1920s and 1930s by Hugh Latimer, whose father ran the General Store in Orland.
- First Settlers of Brighton On October 27, 2012 Dan Buchanan presented "First Settlers of Brighton" at The Gates as part of October is Arts Month", sponsored by The Brighton Arts Council.
- Memorials at Trinity in Colborne Trinity Anglican Church in Colborne has been deconsecrated and its future is uncertain. Friends of Trinity Anglican Church was formed in order to maintain such an important part of the village's heritage in some capacity. A cemetery is attached to Trinity and Dan Buchanan provided Jane Urquhart with historical information regarding some of the people who are buried there.
- Enid Rogers of Colborne Enid Rogers was well known in Colborne and was a benefactor of Trinity Anglican Church. Information was assembled by Dan Buchanan about her life and connections to the community of Colborne and provided to Jane Urquhart in support of Friends of Trinity Anglican Church.
- Rev. Charles Buchanan Eulogy Rev. Charles Buchanan passed away on June 16, 2012 at Belleville General Hospital. This Eulogy was presented by his son Dan Buchanan at the Memorial Service at John R. Rush Funeral Home on June 22.
- The Breakaway A small lake north of Hilton broke through and destoryed 2 saw mills and killed two men.
- The Birth of Brighton Township Story of how Brighton Township was created and some historical context.
- Timeline of History for Brighton Area Timeline from Plains of Abraham to Confederation, events that effected the Brighton area, both locally and in the wider world.
- Family Sketches of Brighton Township 1852 Brief sketch of individuals and families living in Brighton Township when it was created in 1852.
- Codrington Village Detailed History of Codrington Village and immediate area from 1850's to 1980's; people, businesses, homes, events.
- Codrington Store Detailed History of the Codrington Store, the persistent symbol of Codrington, from 1850's to the present.
- Codrington United Church History and memories of Codrington United Church, constructed from two earlier churches - Bethany and Mount Olivet.
- Codrington Blue Jays Fond memories of a Championship season at Codrington, 1963. Go Blue Jays!
- Dr King - Codrington Connection How was the notorious Dr. Billy King connected to Codrington? His grave stone was in our front yard!!
- The Old Percy Road The Old Percy Road served the area north of Presqu'Ile Bay from the early 1800's but was replaced by a better road - No. 30 Highway.
- Two Headed Calf Story of rare two-headed calf we had on our farm.